Thursday, April 26, 2012

Budweiser: King of Beer

I recall in my early beer-drinking days when I was still developing the acquired taste for good beer, I found myself in Europe and reading about a controversy over the right to the name "Budweiser." The Czechs were annoyed at the Americans for stealing the name for a piss-poor American beer.

Now, I knew that American beers weren't piss-poor. In my personal experience, they were piss-rich. Why the American Bud even resembled piss. And I could even quite enjoy an ice-cold Bud on a hot, humid day. It especially refreshed because of its abundant carbonation.

Naturally, I wondered how a mere Czech brew could compete with that! Here's a photo of the world-famous American Budweiser, a bottle that I personally bought for the purpose of posting on today's blog entry:


Budweiser: Kind of Beer!

Beautiful brown bottle of a classical beer-bottle style, don't you think? And a memorable red, white, and blue label -- just like the American flag!

And what about the Czech Bud? Similar. A red, white, and . . . gold label. On a green bottle, though. Here it is below, also personally purchased specifically for today's post:


Budweiser: King of Beer?

So . . . the two beers are sort of similar. I can kind of see why the American Budweiser folks wouldn't want to share the name with the original 'owners' of it. Fear of getting the two mixed up, that kind of thing. But the bottles ought not really be confused for one another, not if we look closely and carefully at the two for comparison:

Subtle Differences in Appearance . . .

But I guess the American Bud got its way, for the Czech Bud bears the name "Budweiser" only in small print at the bottom of the label and then only as "Budweiser Budvar."

Still, I don't know why the American Budweiser brewers wouldn't let the original Budweiser display its own name boldly. The two beers will never be mistaken in taste. The Czech one has a strong hoppy flavor and some other complexities of taste that really interfere with the enjoyment of the carbonation.

I consider the American Bud far superior in its extraordinary carbonation, and I assign it high marks for its truly bubbly carbon dioxide flavor, a flavor free of any complexities of taste other than carbonic acid.

If you do find any hint of complexity in an American Bud, that sort of thing can be easily obscured by chilling the beer down to slightly below 32 degrees fahrenheit. You won't taste a thing but the bubbles, and that's as it should be!

How do I know all this, you ask? I've compared, so I know from experience. You see, they were right when they said that beer makes you smart. It made me, a bud of Bud, wiser!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How do I know all this, you ask? I've compared, so I know from experience. You see, they were right when they said that beer makes you smart. It made me, a bud of Bud, wiser!"

Hmmm. Jeff? InBev bought out Anheiser-Busch. Brazilian. Not that it matters of course - somebody suggested Dogfish, or, mentioned Dogfish. Something anyway. I'd go on but I need to piss.

JK

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'd heard something like that. But don't let me detain you from manufacturing some American beer . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

the richest ale, however, being DeBeers

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too Funny! Bud has never been my beer of choice, however: I did notice both of the comparison bottles were completely devoid of any beer whether hoppy or carbonated too much. That is showing the true researchers spirit, boldly charging ahead and daming the consequences! Of course teh consquence of even a little Bud for me was a large headache. May you avoid such a result and continue your quest to find the perfect beer.

Jay

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

DeBeers is a man's best friend!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

The perfect beer is the BBB -- "The Bottomless Bottle of Beer" -- and you'll be hearing more about that in the near future . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a little headache Jay?

[disclaimer* until I switched from my 28 years total Budweiser diet, I was bothered by neither]

Headache's mildly annoying. However - "the drizzlies and spurtlies" - so bad one is afraid to fart. That carbonation, if it gets past the stomach, heck Bud might orter be deemed a public health hazard!

JK

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

One must progress 'by spits and farts' in the arduous pursuit of fine beer . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Kevin Baker said...

Looking for a unique and affordable gift idea for the beer lover?

IceZilla! http://www.IceHoleProducts.com

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

You need to check how to link, KB!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home